|Occupation||High School Student|
Deputy Soul Reaper
|First Appearance||Manga: Vol. 1, Chapter 1|
Anime: Episode 1
Ichigo Kurosaki is the main character of the Bleach anime and manga series. He lives in Karakura Town with his father Isshin and two younger sisters, Karin and Yuzu. Unfortunately, Ichigo's mother Masaki died protecting Ichigo from a Hollow called Grand Fisher, disguised as a little girl when Ichigo was a little boy. Unlike most people, Ichigo has had the ability to see spirits since he was a boy, though he doesn't become fully aware of it until his adolescence. One day, on his way to school, he witnesses a female Shinigami eliminate a hollow that was terrorizing the city. That night, he encounters that same shinigami who introduces herself as Rukia Kuchiki when another hollow threatened his family. When Rukia was rendered incapacitated by the Hollow, she stabs Ichigo's soul with her zanpakutō, which triggers his transformation into a shinigami. With his new found shinigami powers, Ichigo terminates the hollow and takes on the responsibility of patrolling Karakura Town for any hollow or other hostile spirits that threaten the peace.
Ichigo has the physique of the average male in his age group, though slightly taller than most in his class. He has wild, spiky orange hair, a trait which has drawn him into several fights with his peers. Nevertheless, when he is not wearing his school uniform, he dresses in the common fashion of today's adolescent males. As a soul reaper, Ichigo wears a black hakama with a white sash tied around his waist, carrying his zanpakutou on his back held by a red chord. However, with his bankai activated, Ichigo's attire changes slightly, wearing a black overcoat torn at the edge with red interior lining, resembling that of spirit form Zangetsu.
Ichigo as a boy was generally full of joy and felicity, though he would quickly weep whenever he had unpleasant experiences. After the death of his mother, Ichigo's personality changed drastically which carries on into his teens. The smiles he used to carry as a boy have all but disappeared and have been replaced with mostly frowns. Though hegne is a responsible person, Ichigo mostly has a nonchalant attitude towards his surroundings. He still has a healthy relationship with his family except for his father, which often gets violent. Ichigo tends to be very obstinate and sometimes belligerent, often criticizing or yelling at those close to him. His belligerence has landed him in several fights or conflicts with other people, a lot of which have been over trivial issues. Nevertheless, Ichigo is compassionate and often empathizes with others in unfortunate situations, having lost his mother. During and after the Soul Society incident in which Rukia was apprehended and sentenced to execution, Ichigo's personality begins to change for the better. He begins to smile more often and generally acts more courteous towards others, though his relationship with some people doesn't particularly change.
Ichigo is capable of being a remarkable analyst when the occasion calls for it, and instinctively picks up on things that other around him haven't noticed. When fighting he takes pleasure is belittling his opponent. Due to being picked on at school by bullies because of this outlandish coloured hair he has attained a permanent scowl which causes other students to feel disconcerted around him. Despite his looks he is a warm-hearted and loving character, he can also be rather compassionate toward a person after seeing their point of view (Much with the case of Muramasa). This quality about him causes him to be liked more by the younger generation.
When exposed nudity of immorally dressed women, Ichigo becomes somewhat shy and uncomfortable for which Rangiku Matsumoto and Yoruichi Shihōin tease him for - Yoruichi more so than Ranguki. At the beginning of the animé, she would constantly removing her cat facade to reveal her naked body to purposely cause Ichigo discomfort. He is also rather rude and disrespectful to those who are older than him, having some trouble with traditional respect and authority. He, however, does not do this intentionally, but he tends to call Genryūsai Shigekuni Yamamoto "Gramps" and several captain's by their first name (Namely Captain Hitsugaya).
Ichigo was born on July 15th, the son of Isshin Kurosaki and Masaki Kurosaki, 15 years prior to him becoming a Shinigami. His two sisters Karin Kurosaki and Yuzu Kurosaki were born several years later. When Ichigo turned 4 years old he joined a karate dojo where he met Tatsuki Arisawa, and she won every fight those two fought against each other. Tatsuki would help Ichigo when he would be beaten up by bullies and cheer him up if he were upset.
From a very early age, Ichigo had been able to see Pluses, from as far back as he can remember he could see them clearly, even so to the extent that he could tell apart the living from the dead. Because of this he was constantly seen by others to look at empty spaces and talk to himself. This caused people to believe he could see ghosts, although when confronted by Tatsuki about this, he calmly denied it.
On June 17th, when Ichigo was nine years old, he and his mother were walking home along one of Karakura Town's rivers, after a karate lesson. Ichigo could see a girl sitting infront of the river and thought she was gong to jump, because of Ichigo's indifference to the living and the dead he ran toward the girl, unknowing that it was merely a lure by the Hollow, The Grand Fisher. Masuki shouted after Ichigo, but he ignored all warning, after reaching and failing to grab the girl Ichigo fell and was knocked unconscious. Upon awaking his mother, Masuki, was lying ontop of him covered in blood. After the death of this mother, Ichigo would constantly skip school to visit the place where his mother died. One day Tatsuki found him there, wandering up and down the bank, as if looking for his mother from one night to the next morning.
When Ichigo was twelve years old, prior to the Clinic opening, there was a ring at the door. Ichigo answered the door to find a young girl with a person on her back - who turns out to be her brother. He had been in a car crash and was covered in blood. However the clinic did not have the equipment needed to save him and was taken care of until an ambluence could take him to Karakura Hospital. It was revealed sometime later that this girl was a future school friend of Ichigo - Orihime Inoue.
Several years later, Ichigo was accepted into Mashibi Junior High school where he had his first victory against Tatsuki and haven't sparred since. In high school, Ichigo was constantly fighting with bullies because of his brightly colored hair. During one of his many fights he ended up protected a fellow pupil called Yasutora Sado from a group of thugs. Later, when Sado (Chad) has been kidnapped Ichigo hunts down the gang and knocks down their leader, Yokochini. He calmly then used Yokochini's phone to ring for an ambulance before beating up the group of five thugs. After all five were beaten Chad and Ichigo made pact to always protect each other and since then have remained close friends.
Shortly after Ichigo becomes a Shinigami, he and Chad are accepted into Karakura High School and where their reputation precedes them. During yet another fight with a gang - led by Reiichi Ōshima - Ichigo meets fellow pupils Keigo Asano and Mizuiro Kojima. Although Keigo was originally scared of Ichigo and Chad, both he and Mizuiro become good friends with them.
Ichigo is one of few human beings to possess innate spirit force in the Bleach universe. After meeting Rukia Kuchiki and initially transforming into a soul reaper, it turns out that he has a massive amount of spirit force. Since he produced more spirit force than his body could contain, it was constantly leaking out, which caused some of his friends to develop spiritual powers. Additionally, it would prevent him from hiding it thus attracting other spiritual aware beings to him, primarily Hollows. Although he doesn't have formal soul reaper rank, Ichigo's power and abilities are comparable to that of a soul reaper captain.
This is an article for the Zanpakutō form of Zangetsu, for the Spiritusal Manifestation see Zangetsu (Spirit)
Zangetsu: (斬月, Slaying Moon): In its sealed form, it resembles a regular katana, only abnormally large in size due to Ichigo's inability to control his spiritual pressure. In training with Kisuke Urahara, Ichigo released his zanpakuto thus giving form to Zangetsu's shikai.
- Shikai In its shikai, Zangetsu is a large black cleaver approximately as tall as Ichigo with no hilt or hand guard. It has white hilt wrap around the blade which will unravel whenever the sword is in use. Zangetsu is one of only two known full time released Zanpakutō's, meaning that it will always remain in its released state, even when not in use or if the owner loses consciousness. Zangetsu is also one of two Zanpakutō in Bleach that is shown manifesting itself in the form of a spirit. Zangetsu's spirit form is that of a tall, middle-aged man with long, messy dark brown hair and a stubble who wears a torn, black overcoat with red interior lining. He is calm and composed, often giving advice to Ichigo and testing him in peculiar ways.
- Shikai Special Ability': Zangetsu's special ability is Getsuga Tenshō (lit. "Moon Fangs Pierce Heaven"), an attack in which a concentrated wave of spirit particles shaped like a crescent moon is fired from Zangetsu's edge. However, the shape of the attack can be manipulated depending on the manner it's being used.
- Bankai: In Bankai form, Zangetsu's shape and size are contradictory to the massive amount of spirit force that goes into forming and using it. Called Tensa Zangetsu (lit. "Heavenly Chains Moon Cutter"), it resembles a nodachi (a large, two-handed Japanese sword) with a black, long blade, hilt with a short chain attached to it, and a hand guard in the shape of the manji symbol. Because Ichigo's spiritual power is compressed into his bankai's small form, he is able to employ ultra high speed movement faster than the "flash step", a soul reaper technique for high speed movement. Getsuga Tenshō in bankai mode, which was initially used by Ichigo's inner hollow, has a few discrepancies from its shikai form. In bankai, several waves can be fired in succession, and their paths can be controlled as well. Ichigo recently demonstrated a new ability for Getsuga Tenshō in which he holds the technique on the blade to increase the strength of his melee attacks.
- Bankai Special Abilities: Tensa Zangetsu is mainly used for Melee type combat but it possess several special abilities.
- Enhanced Getsuga Tenshō: Tensa Zangetsu retains the use of Getsuga Tenshō and can be used in the same way as it could in Shikai, however it's general overall destructive power has been greatly augmented. In Bankai Getsuga Tenshō becomes a black colour with a red outline and Ichigo has shown to be able tocontrol and manipulate it to change direction and even shape, massively increasing it's power and speed. During his (Or Hollow Ichigo's) battle with Byakuya Kuchiki he calls it Kuroi Getsuga (黒月牙; "Black Moon Fang") refering to it's darkened colour.
- Bankai Special Abilities: Tensa Zangetsu is mainly used for Melee type combat but it possess several special abilities.
During the attempt to regain his soul reaper powers, Ichigo almost completely transformed into a hollow. As such, an arrogant inner hollow was born whose power grew in correlation to Ichigo's growth. When his inner hollow proved to be more of a threat than he could bear, Ichigo went to seek help from the Visoreds in hopes of permanently suppressing his inner hollow. In his training with the Visoreds, Ichigo acquired the ability to partially become a hollow by forming the mask, though he remains in complete control. His hollow powers significantly augment his soul reaper abilities, as well as granting a few others, such as faster recovery rate. However, the time he could initially retain the mask was only eleven seconds at best. Ichigo overcame this weakness after participating in several fights with Espada level arrancar in Hueco Mundo.
After being beaten to within an inch of his life in his final bout with Ulquiorra, Ichigo fully transformed into a hollow. His appearance, however, is almost completely different from his previous hollow form revealed during his training with the visoreds, having a more ominous looking mask with curved horns and retaining a humanoid body. This new form is substantially more powerful than Ichigo's previous forms, as Ichigo was able to counter Ulquiorra's strongest techniques with ease. Additionally, he abandoned his soul reaper abilities such as shunpo, and instead uses generic hollow techniques (though much stronger and more effective in his case) including cero and Sonído. However, despite having acquired tremendous power, Ichigo appears to have descended to an animalistic state reminiscent of a regular hollow due to not having harnessed his new found power.
Related ThreadsCharacter of the Month - Ichigo Kurosaki - last post by Dragoon @ Feb 6, 2010
Ichigo Kurosaki & Yusuke Urameshi - last post by @ Jun 17, 2010
Ichigo Kurosaki Character Discussion - last post by @ Jan 2, 2007
Kaien-Dono and Ichigo - last post @ May 10, 2008
This page has been accessed 40,072 times.