|Weight||74 kg (163 lbs)|
|Occupation(s)||Previous 5th Division Captain|
Leader of the Arrancar Army
|Subordinate(s)||Gin Ichimaru and previously Momo Hinamori|
|Voice actor(s)||Kyle Hebert (english)|
Ricardo Mendoza(latin american)
|First Appearance||Volume 9, Chapter 79|
Sōsuke Aizen is the former captain of the 5th Division in the Gotei 13 and the primary antagonist of Bleach. His lieutenant was initially Gin Ichimaru, who was succeeded by Momo Hinamori after the aforementioned's promotion to 3rd Division captain. After defecting from Soul Society, he and his accomplices Gin and 7th Division captain Kaname Tōsen migrated to Hueco Mundo where he raised an army of arrancars using the Hōgyoku he stole from Kisuke Urahara. Aizen has often been revered by fans and critics of Bleach as one of the best, most unexpected antagonists in anime and manga.
Aizen is an average sized, clean shaven man with dark brown hair and eyes. While he resided in Soul Society, Aizen had his hair covering much of his forehead and wore glasses, making him appear harmless. He regularly wore his shihakusho with his division's emblem on his shoulder while serving as 5th Division lieutenant, and later on with a white haori when serving as 5th Division captain. Upon defecting from Soul Society, he styles his hair back and stops wearing his glasses, giving him a much more moderate appearance.
 Powers & Abilities
- High Intellect: This is arguably the most fearsome thing about Aizen. He is versatile in battle tactics, history, strategy, tactics of Soul Society, and has a well versed knowledge of information unknown to most, such as the existence of the ōken, as well as the method on how to make/obtain one. He has created Hollows and Arrancar to do his work without him directly doing it, and thus avoiding any direct suspicion to himself, he also did this with the aid of his Zanpakutō's illusionary capabilities. For 110 years he has been conducting dangerous experiments that manipulate or change Spirit Particles. However his most prevalent - and useful - experiments lie within that of the process of Hollowification of a Shinigami, and the Shinigamification of hollows. After the events during the Turn Back the Pendulum Arc it is speculated to have happened once since, with Tōsen Kaname being transformed into a Visored type entity. He also has a great knowledge of the Hōgyoku and claims to know more about it than it's creator, Kisuke Urahara, even to the extent of him knowing how to destroy it. During his battle with Shinji Hirako he was quickly able to deduce the power of his Zanpakutō, figuring out the optical illusion it creates, thus allowing him to counter it's effects. He was also able to effectively deduce the restrictions, advantages and the true power of the Hōgyoku through trial and error alone.
- Master Manipulator: He has shown himself to be an extremely clever and deviant man since his betrayal from Soul Society. He was able to deceive the entirety of Soul Society for 110 years to hide his plans and experiments with Hollowification. Throughout that time he was able to convince people he was a kind hearted and caring man who only had the best intentions for the Gotei 13 and other affiliates. He has also been shown to be a master analyst and is a keen observer. He can understand everything in presence, often over powering his foes with his exceptional knowledge and because of this can easily and effectively counter attacks. He is a master strategist as well, capable of formulating well thought out plans that are several steps ahead of others. They are often thought out with the long term in mind and because of it they can often seem convoluted. Throughout his 110 years of deception, he used others like pieces on a chessboard, giving and planting a role for all of them. He's also masterful at creating "plans within plans", such as kidnapping Orihime, allowing him to use her to extend the abilities of the Hōgyoku, and to trap the Ryoka and the four captains after he, Gin and Tōsen departed for Hueco Mundo, thus making it easier for him to complete his ultimate objective - the creation of the ōken.
- Master Tactician: He is a flexible tactician, able to adjust certain plans and tactics in battle if not all goes to plan. He fully understands and strengths, weaknesses and mannerisms of his enemy and formulates plans to counter them all; a notable example of this was when he successfully modified an Arrancar to seal away Captain Commander Yamamoto's power, to overpower and defeat him. However the majority of his tactics rely on the illusionary powers of his Zanpakutō, manipulating all of the senses, making it easier to attack. Although he classes the power of his Zanpakutō worlds above the others, he is still highly cautious when entering battle, placing protections on himself to make sure that no blind spots he has are vulnerable.
- Kidō Master: Aizen has shown himself to be proficient in the casting of Kidō spells. He was able to cast, without incantation, the level 90 Kidō spell, Black Coffin. Although he was nit able to fully utilise it's power or control it to it's best potential, it was potent enough to take down captain Sajin Komamura. Also during his escape from Kisuke Urahara and Tessai Tsukabishi, he was able to erect Splitting Void, a Kidō spell with a rank of 81, without incantation, protecting him, Gin and Tōsen from one of the forbidden spells cast by Tessai, who was at the time, leader of the Kidō Corps and thus proficient with Kidō and probably the most powerful Kidō master Soul Society has ever seen. He can also cast powerful protection spells to protect himself in battle, namely protecting his blind spots.
- Immense Strength: Aizen has shown himself to be powerful enough to stop Ichigo's Bankai with just the tip of his index finger (although exhausted from his battle previously with Byakuya Kuchiki) and almost cut him in half with just one swing of his Katana. He was also able to stop Renji's Shikai with his bare hand and then proceeded to break it with one swing of his sword, thus injuring Renji. He was also able to stop Komamura's Shikai with his hands alone, proving that he is more then capable of battling someone on the same level as he, and most likely even above. This is only reinforced when he is easily able to cut through Sajin's Bankai.
- Immense Spiritual Pressure: Even compared to a Captain's Spiritual Pressure, his is considered to be the most powerful and fearful. Marechiyo Ōmaeda commented that just by being near Aizen was monstrously overwhelming. Even he commented on his own spiritual pressure. After the completion of Wonderwiess Margera, he said that the Hōgyoku was still in it's half awakened state, and that it would take twice a captains average spiritual pressure to utilise it's full power. (Before Aizen himself fused with the Hōgyoku (referring to himself)). It's also powerful enough to bring the Sexta Espada, Grimmjow Jeagerjaques, to his knees. He told Renji that he was finding it difficult not to crush him like an ant with his Spiritual Pressure. He also claims to be more powerful that any of the Espada. His Spiritual Pressure is so immense it's even been shown to nullify abilities, such as Soi Fon's Nigeki Kessatsu, by suppressing the poison with it.
- Mater Swordsmanship Specialist: While the full extent of his powers are still unknown, he has shown that he can effortlessly protect himself against anothers Shikai, and in some cases Bankai, with his Zanpakutō still in its Sealed State. He can perform incredibly powerful and precise strikes with his blade which is able to cut through the sturdiest of foes, such as Renji's Shikai. He was also able to easily cut down 4 Captains - Two of which were in their Bankai States - and 4 Visoreds - three of which were former captains for the Gotei 13.
- Flash Steps Master: It has been said that one doesn't know that they have been attacked by Aizen until his move has already taken place. He has been shown to easily out maneuver Ichigo's Hollow Mask Donned form whilst in Bankai and could lay a hand on his chest and still dodge a point blanc attack. He is also able to dodge, simultaneously, several attacks from Captain level attacks whilst in Bankai as well as being able to easily dodge attacks coming from behind. However it is unknown if he is faster that Yoruichi Shihōin or Soi Fon, due to them being able to catch up with him before he could unsheathe his sword.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat Master: Although he prefers to use other methods such as his Zanpakutō or Kidō, he is highly capable of hand-to-hand combat and has shown himself to stop an enemies Shikai with only his hands. Whilst fighting offensively he is able to combine both Zanjutsu and Hakuda to strike simultaneously, striking with one hand and kicking his opponents with tremendous force with both amazing dexterity and agility.
Kyōka Suigetsu (鏡花水月, Mirror Flower, Water Moon) resembles a normal Katana when in it's sealed form. The only decoration on his Zanpakutō can be found on his tsuba which is hexagonal as opposed to rectangular. The two sides that run parallel along the blade are long whilst the sides above and below the blade are short, giving it the appearance of a Diamond shaped blade. It's handle is green.
- Shikai: It's release command Shatter (砕けろ, kudakero) is used to both activate and deactivate it's shikai state. It's name, Kyōka Suigetsu, gives hint to it's illusionary capabilities; the moon reflected in the water, and a flower in a mirror are both things that can be seen, but not obtained. It's name is based on an old Chinese Proverb that teaches seeing and desiring something that is a dream that cannot be easily grasped in hand, and thus teaching them about temptations.
- Shikai Special Ability: Kyōka Suigetsu has the special ability Kanzen Saimin (完全催眠, Complete Hypnosis). As the name would suggest, it has the ability to completely control all 5 senses to the point where an opponent may misinterpret a persons shape, form, size, smell, mass and feel to be that of an enemy. However this sense manipulation can only successfully work against a foe if they initially see the release of Kyōka Suigetsu. Although having to see it's release, they foe only has to see it once to be subject to it's powers for a limitless amount of time, no matter how many times Kyōka Suigetsu is activated and deactivated. This was predominantly shown when the Visoreds seem to still be subject to it's powers 110 years after seeing it's initial release. Because the foe has to see the release for the Complete Hypnosis to work, those who have not seen it are effectually immune to it's powers. When the Complete Hypnosis is activated and Aizen wishes to remove the illusion by force of will, it will appear to shatter or melt away. Aizen has stated that Kyōka Suigetsu's Complete Hypnosis is completely flawless, still working even the target knows they are under it's influence. It's hypnotic capabilities can be extremely useful when used in combat situations; for example, he can create either simple or complex illusions to completely fool or disorientated his opponents. Whilst his foes are concentrating on his illusions, he can then hide his actions with extreme secrecy and impunity, and when he delivers an attack they'll be focused on the decoy until it's too late. While the illusions created by this Zanpakutō can be powerful, those who are extremely well trained and skilled themselves may be able to tell the differences between the illusions and the reality. An example of this would be when Retsu Unohana was able to detect that the corpse of Sōsuke Aizen was in fact one of his illusions, however she didn't realise that Aizen was still alive. Another weakness to Kyōka Suigetsu's Hypnotic abilities is it's Riatsu, it gives the illusion away to those who can sense the Zanpakutō's Spiritual Pressure. Gin later reveals that the only way one can truly escape Kyōka Suigetsu's ability is to touch the blade before the Complete Hypnosis has the chance to activate.
- Bankai: Not Yet Revealed
 Hōgyoku Implementation
- Protective Regeneration: As of implanting the Hōgyoku into his chest, it has shown the ability instantly protect Aizen from any wounds that Aizen sustains instinctively. It can work to such an extent that he was able to take on a level 96 Kidō destructive spell and only suffering from slight burns. Almost immediately after that he was able to survive a hollow mask donned Getsuga Tenshō. He also seems to be able to withstand being hurled into the side of buildings coming out totally undazed.
- Augmented Strength: Upon the Hōgyoku's implementation, Aizen's strength was increased dramatically, being able to easily cut through an opponant's flesh with a mere sweep of his bare hands.
- Augemented Durability: Due to merging with the Hōgyoku he can withstand a level 91 Kidō spell and remain unharmed.
 First FormKisuke Urahara and tries to block Aizen's Riatsu vent with seals, Aizen emerges from the resultant explosion totally unharmed. His face is covered in a white mask and he is now donning a white, ghoul-like cloak that covers his entire body. The cloak is divided into four segments, centered at his chest where the impregnated Hōgoyku lies. After a short battle with Yoruichi Shihōin his Zanpakutō fuses with his arm. It appears that as he is attacked in this form, his body only folds and cracks when undertaking damage, however he only seems to bleed when an attack is above a certain level of power. In this form Ichigo Kurosaki states that his riatsu is unreadable and therefore only someone who as attained the same level of power as him may be able to sense it. While in this form, Aizen has shown;
- Enhanced Durability: His durability has enhanced to the extent of being able to stop Isshin's Zanpakutō with only his foot and coming out of an attack issued by Yoruichi unharmed. As well as this he seems to be able to perform to an extent of being able to move and attack at normal power while sustained serious injuries. He has taken on Isshin's Getsuga Tenshō at a point blank range, emerged from the explosion unfazed with only a gash on his forehead.
- Augmented Strength: Aizen's power is now able to create a shock wave after being knocked down by Yorichi. This shock wave so so strong and fast that is caught even her off guard and shattered her anti-hierro armor.
- Augmented Speed: His speed has been enhanced to a level where even captain level Shinigami cannot read his movements, and as such is so great it can catch "Shunpo Master" Yoruichi off guard. He was able to seemingly cut down three captain level Shinigami instantaneously.
- Regeneration: This form has been shown to be able to heal Aizen at an almost instant rate after taking damage from Yoruichi's first attack.
 Second Form
- Immense Durability: His durability has increased to a much higher level than it was previously. Aizen is now willing to allow the Kōtotsu so collide with him head on, destroying it while remaining totally unharmed.
- Immense Spiritual Pressure: Although already having an immense presence to him, his Spiritual Pressure is further enhanced in this form. He can now totally destroy a human soul only by being near it, causing them to collapse under the weight and fade away. According to himself, if Don Kanonji had proceeded to attack him he would have ceased to exist, much the same when Gin was attacking Aizen. As Aizen touched Gin's arm, the area touched started to dissolve.
 Third FormGin Ichimaru's Kamishini no Yari, Spiritual Energy exudes from Aizen's chest where the Hōgyoku lies. The resultant blast from his chest reveals this third form. In this form Aizen has a hollow like hole in the center of his chest with a cross running through it. The robe that had previously covered his body in his last two forms now lengthens and flares at the end. His iris' disappear, as do his eyebrows and the stray strand of hair over his forehead that he usually dons. Also, a Diamond like object appears embedded in his forehead. He also gains large, butterfly like wings. As he faces Ichigo, these wings become more pointed at the ends rather than rounded.
- Regeneration: Aizen is able to regenerate any part of his body on command in minutes.
- Augmented Strength: When he attains this form he is able to easily attack his opponent with minor or little force. For example he effortlessly threw Gin through a nearby building. He was able to also raise a significant level of ground upon a swing of his sword. The shock was fierce enough to cause this devestation even though the attack was blocked.
- Augmented Speed: His speed is even further enhanced when in this form. He can move from place to place using a flash of light, meaning he can easily out maneuvre his opponents.
 Fourth Form
- Spiritual Energy Blast: From the top of his wings, Aizen is able to fire hollow shaped Riatsu that is powerful enough to create a large crater. The presence of these blasts can be felt miles away.
- Spiritual Energy Circle: Aizen is able to use the skills on the end of his wings to create a circle of Riatsu around his opponent, enabling him to produce a 360 degree attack.
- Regeneration: After taking a hit from Ichigo Mugetsu he was able to regenerate. However most of his new adorned features didn't seem to come back.
This page has been accessed 35,768 times.